Mastery 2 builds on the knowledge and clinical proficiency gained in Mastery 1 with continued emphasis on skill development to manage a broad spectrum of cases and severities of obstructive sleep apnea. Students will participate in oral appliance selection and create a prescription for a laboratory to fabricate an oral appliance. Lectures will develop a more in-depth understanding of normal sleep and the consequences of poor quality sleep, including phase delay circadian rhythms in adolescents. Exploring alternative treatments such as surgery and CPAP will lay a foundation for guiding patient decision-making and anticipating combining therapies for best outcomes. A focus on titration goals, understanding maximum medical improvement, and side effect management furnishes practitioner confidence and promotes best patient care.
Completion of Mastery 1 is required to participate in Mastery 2. After completing both courses, dentists will be eligible for the ABDSM certification examination. To learn more about the ABDSM exam, click here.
Upon completion of the course, attendees will be able to:
2. Develop critical understanding of OSA pathophysiology and co-morbidities such as cardiovascular, metabolic and neurocognitive concerns.
3. Explain the influence of confounding respiratory influences and possible remedies.
4. Improve OAT outcomes by understanding maximum medical improvement (MMI) and exploring combinations of therapies
5. Prepare patients for oral appliance wear and titration, monitoring signs, symptoms and side effects.
6. Anticipate and manage side effects that could compromise treatment objectives.
7. Incorporate protocols to maximize staff efficiency following a medical practice model, with an understanding of medical insurance coding and billing requirements.
8. Clearly communicate device design to laboratories, avoiding costly mistakes, and consider benefits of digital technology in practice.
9. Explore alternative and emerging therapies for SDB.
10. Anticipate oral appliance efficacy for individual cases and consider combinations of therapies for best clinical outcomes.
11. Confidently manage OA side effects and patient expectations
12. Explain the etiology and prevalence of pediatric SDB, the differences with adult SDB and the efficacies of treatment options.
13. Incorporate pediatric screening and referral protocols.
14. Continue to build an understanding of the medical practice model with medical-legal considerations.
15. Perfect an appropriate algorithm for patient management that begins with screening and ends with long-term follow-up.
Successful completion of Mastery 1 including all clinical competency assignments and the Mastery 1 Quiz.
Clinical Competency Assignments
Mastery 2 includes several clinical competency assignments that require patient interaction. These assignments are required to successfully complete Mastery 2. Registered attendees will receive detailed instructions regarding these assignments. For an overview of clinical competency assignments, click the button below. The deadline for the two patient cases for Mastery 2 (for both the virtual and in-person courses) is February 28, 2023.
In 2022, Mastery 2 will be offered in-person and virtually. For those attending Mastery 2 in-person, in-person attendance for the entirety of the course required for successful completion. Information on each offering can be found below.
Virtual Mastery 2 Information
Virtual Mastery 2 consist of pre-recorded lectures that are available on-demand in the AADSM Online Learning Center from August 1, 2022 through February 28, 2023, so you can access the lectures when it works best for you. Registration for the 2022 virtual Mastery 2 will remain open through December 2022. Participants will have until February 28 to complete the on-demand course, including delivering appliances to two patients, regardless of the date of registration. Instructions on how to access the 2022 virtual Mastery 2 will be emailed from firstname.lastname@example.org on August 1.Virtual Mastery 2 CE hours: 60 (self-instructional, electronically mediated hours)
The following practice management lectures will be made available virtually on-demand prior to the start of both the virtual and in-person Mastery 2.
Managing Medical Reimbursement
Understanding Medical Billing
Building Bridges Through Communication
DSM in Practice
Staff Roles for Efficiency
Medical Legal Considerations
Additional Mastery 2 Topics:
Normal Sleep and Why We Need It
Approach to the Airway
Surgical Therapy for OSA
Device Design Cases Presentations
Treatment Emergent TMD
SOAP Notes and Informed Consent
Nocturnal Pulse Oximetry
Post Delivery Care and Appointments
Device Calibration Demos
PSG and HSAT
PAP Therapy and Phenotypical Considerations
Pain and Sleep
Dental Side Effects
Adverse Event Management
Long Term Follow-Up
Pediatric Therapies and Evidence-Based Practice
Side Effects Case Presentation and the Power of Informed Consent
Live Question and Answer Sessions (for virtual courses only)
During each virtual Mastery Course window, there will be live question and answer sessions where faculty will be available to answer questions submitted both in advance and during the discussion. Click the button below to view the dates and times for each session.
Live Q&A Sessions Schedule
Register for Virtual Mastery 2
Note: While access to virtual Mastery 2 will not be provided until August 1, your credit card will be charged the full registration fee at the time of registration.
In-Person Mastery 2 Information
Registration for the in-person Mastery 2 includes access to all of the virtual Mastery 2 recordings for future reference, if desired.
In-Person Mastery 2 CE hours: 25.25 (live, in-person hours)
Course Dates and Times
|Thursday, November 3||12:45pm* - 6:00pm|
|Friday, November 4||8:00am - 6:30pm**|
|Saturday, November 5||8:00am - 6:30pm|
|Sunday, November 6||8:00am - 12:30pm|
**Networking reception in exhibit hall takes place from 6:00pm - 6:30pm.
Continental breakfast will be served Friday-Sunday and lunch will be served Friday and Saturday.
Course Location and HotelHilton Phoenix Resort at the Peak
7677 N. 16th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85020
Discounted Rate: $199 available until October 7, or until the room block sells out
Check-in time: 4:00 PM
Check-out time: 11:00 AM
Reservations: To make reservations online click HERE, or call: 800-445-8667 and reference: 2022 Mastery 2 Course